Delhi minor rape accused to be produced in court tomorrow | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 23, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Delhi minor rape accused to be produced in court tomorrow

delhi Updated: Apr 21, 2013 22:09 IST
delhi rape


Main accused in the brutal rape of five year old girl in Delhi has told police that another man was involved in the barbaric crime, according to reports. The police are still to verify his claims.

The accused, Manoj Kumar, will be produced in a Delhi court on Monday.

The 22-year-old man, arrested for allegedly raping a five-year old girl, will not be produced before court today as police have time till Monday to do so.

"The accused Manoj Kumar of Gandhi Nagar rape case will not be produced in the court today," Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said.

Kumar, a labourer in a garment factory in north-east Delhi, was arrested on Saturday by a team of Delhi Police and their Bihar counterpart from Muzafarpur district.

A court in Bihar had given a 72-hour transit remand to Delhi Police to bring him to the capital.

The accused was flown to the capital last evening.

In normal circumstances, a person should be produced before a court within 24 hours of the arrest. In this case, police have time till Monday to produce him before a court as the transit remand ends then.

"Police can keep him in custody till tomorrow. They can question him and when produced in court, we can seek his remand. We will ask for his police custody tomorrow in the court," a senior police official said.

The five-year-old girl was brutally raped and assaulted allegedly by Kumar while being held captive and starved for two days in east Delhi's Gandhi Nagar. She also contracted infection from foreign objects inserted in her body.

Kumar had allegedly raped, battered and brutalised the five-year-old girl and locked her to die at his rented room in east Delhi before fleeing to Bihar on April 15.

Sources in Bihar police told HT that the joint police team had quizzed another youth of Chiknauta village for several hours, before letting him go. “He was a friend of Manoj,” the source told HT.

A three-member team Delhi Police had been camping in Bihar for the past three days.

Kumar, a casual labourer in garment factories in northeast Delhi, had fled the Capital within an hour of committing the crime on April 15. “His preliminary interrogation revealed that after locking the victim in his dark, rented room, Kumar boarded Swatantrata Senani Express and left Delhi at around 8.30 pm,” said Prabhakar, DCP (east).

After reaching Muzaffarpur the next day, Kumar went to his ancestral house in Bharathua village and stayed there for the entire day. “On April 17, he left for his in-laws’ house in Chiknauta village and remained there until his arrest,” added Prabhakar.

With PTI inputs