Signalling trouble for the cash-strapped MCD, municipal contractors undertaking various developmental projects on Wednesday went on an indefinite tool-down strike demanding payment of dues pending for months.
Municipal Commissioner K S Mehra, however, said talks are on with the contractors and the issue will be resolved soon.
He also said the contractors have assured not to stop work after being promised that payment will be released soon but Delhi Municipal Contractors Association president Sunil Vohra said "We have commenced a tool-down strike from today."
"We have not been paid our dues for the last 18 months. In fact, in some cases, the dues were pending for four years. Around 3,000 contractors are taking part in the agitation and it will continue till our payments are made," he said.
Vohra said the strike will not be withdrawn "on basis of assurance, but on basis of payment".
He said the contractors have stopped the work of lifting construction waste in trucks and removed all their vehicles from MCD stores. He claimed that contractors undertaking electrical work have also joined the strike. "We will chart out further course of action in a meeting tomorrow."
However, the association has said works related to Commonwealth Games will be outside the purview of the strike as "national interests are involved".
The cash-strapped MCD is struggling to make payments to project contractors as well as give arrears of Sixth Pay Commission to its employees.
The non-removal of construction waste might cause further worry to MCD which had been maintaining that such waste lying on roads was one of the major causes of waterlogging during monsoon season. Mehra, however, said all construction waste will be removed by August 10 after agencies like NDPL and MTNL complete their cable laying work by July 31.