Delhi Police head constable shoots himself on Supreme Court premises | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Delhi Police head constable shoots himself on Supreme Court premises

delhi Updated: Jan 02, 2017 23:45 IST
Delhi Police

A Delhi Police head constable posted allegedly committed suicide in Supreme Court premises.(HT File Photo)

A 45-year-old Delhi Police head constable posted in the security unit allegedly committed suicide by shooting himself with his service pistol in the Supreme Court premises on Monday morning, police said.

Head Constable Chand Pal was deployed in the Supreme Court security team since April 2014.

A suicide note was found from Pal’s pocket but the police officially did not comment on the contents.

But sources said Pal said in the note he was under depression because of family reasons. Pal was reportedly facing a marital discord and had a property dispute with his family members, including his father and brother.

The sources said Pal blamed his wife Babli for the tension at home.

“He was upset with his father and brother as they did not include him in the property share. Pal mentioned a person believed to be his brother. Pal said in the note that person took everything away from him. Pal bought a plot in the village, which was also acquired by someone else,” said a senior police official on the request of anonymity.

Police said Pal joined Delhi Police as a constable in 1991. At the time of the suicide, he had his old identity card that mentioned him as a constable.

BK Singh, deputy commissioner of police (New Delhi), said the incident took place around 8.15 am at a sentry post, which was 50 metres from the security booth at G-gate of the apex court. Police said G-gate is primarily used for entry and exit by Supreme Court staff.

“Head constable Chand Pal shot himself in his chest using the service pistol. He was rushed to a nearby hospital where doctors pronounced him dead on admission,” said the DCP.

Pal’s family was informed. His post-mortem was conducted at Lady Hardinge hospital. Later, his family members took his body to Meerut in Uttar Pradesh for the last rites, police said.

According to the DCP, Pal was in the morning shift duty, from 7 am to 1 pm. “We are trying to find out if Pal was under stress and what forced him to take his own life. The CCTV footage is being studied,” said Singh. A probe has been initiated.

Police said Pal is survived by his wife and two children. They lived in sector 4 of police colony in south Delhi’s RK Puram.