Delhi restaurant in spotlight after man alleges staff beat him up | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 26, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Delhi restaurant in spotlight after man alleges staff beat him up

delhi Updated: Sep 14, 2015 20:15 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Summer House Cafe

Screengrab of Summer House Cafe's official Facebook account.

A Delhi-based management professional alleged on Monday he was roughed up by the staff of a prominent south Delhi restaurant in the midst of a verbal argument with a man who allegedly misbehaved with his wife.

The allegations sent social media in a tizzy after Sanchit Agarwal posted the allegations on prominent food groups on Facebook, along with purported photos of his injuries and a copy of a police complaint. Within a few hours, his post on the social media site had received more than 2,300 shares.

Agarwal said a man, allegedly drunk, misbehaved and touched his wife, when they were coming down the stairs of Summer House Café in south Delhi’s Aurobindo Market on Saturday after having dinner.

According to the post , he confronted the man and had an argument before four to five people came and dragged him down the staircase, punching and hitting him.

“I initially thought it was friends/relatives of the guy but to my utter shock it was the manager and staff of Summer House Cafe. They got me down the stairs with both internal and external injuries and left me outside. They treated me as if I was some criminal, while I was trying to save my wife,” his Facebook post said.

But the management of the Hauz Khas establishment contradicted Agarwal’s claim, saying video footage of the incident showed neither the manager not the staff were involved.

“It was between two individuals. Both of them were drunk. The allegations are false and baseless,” said Amit Walia, a consultant with the Café. He said the restaurant gave the footage to the police for verification.

In his post, Agarwal alleged other customers and people standing nearby refused to help him or offer medical aid, even telling him to not reach out to the police as nothing would happen.

“Police came after 30-40 mins, by the time the guy who misbehaved had fled. After a lot of persistence, I finally managed to get a complaint filed and was taken to government hospital for medication (after 3 hours),” he wrote on the social media networking site.