Diplomat raped me in Kenya: Domestic help | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Diplomat raped me in Kenya: Domestic help

delhi Updated: Jan 18, 2011 01:23 IST
Vijaita Singh
Vijaita Singh
Hindustan Times
Vijaita Singh

On Sunday the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) had recalled diplomat Anil Verma, who is posted at the British High Commission in London, on charges of beating his wife.

But a 21-year-old domestic help who was allegedly been raped by her employer, an IFS officer posted in Kenya, is still running from pillar to post to get justice.

The woman had lodged a police complaint on December 3 at Moti Nagar police station in West Delhi. She told the police that she was taken to Kenya three years ago where the diplomat raped her and also did not pay her dues. The Delhi Police has now constituted a medical board to investigate the allegations.

"The medical board will be meeting in two days from now and they will examine the victim again. Based on that we will take any action," said V Renganathan, deputy commissioner of police (west). The woman, originally from Jharkhand, came to Delhi in 2006 and had since been living with her aunt in Moti Nagar in a rented accommodation.

She went with the IFS officer to Kenya in February 2007 as his domestic help and came back to Delhi in April 2010. The IFS officer has denied all the allegations and told the police that the domestic help has levelled the allegations as she had some issues with her salary.

When asked why they lodged the complaint months after she returned from Kenya, the brother-in-law of the woman said that they were scared for her life, as the accused is a senior government officer.

He said, "My sister-in-law was called to the police station on Monday and was questioned for more than two hours regarding the case."

"Her statement was recorded under section 164 CrPc before a metropolitan magistrate few days ago. In her account before the magistrate she said that she had been raped and was forced to abort the foetus," said a senior police officer, requesting anonymity.

Police said they have not interrogated the IFS officer as yet and were still waiting for the medical reports. Police said they have begun the investigations.