Doc kills wife, dumps body in Allahabad | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 30, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Doc kills wife, dumps body in Allahabad

delhi Updated: Sep 28, 2011 00:18 IST
HT Correspondent

A surgeon with a local hospital killed his wife, stuffed her body into a bag and drove 700 km through the night to dump it in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh. Chandra Vibhash, 31, was arrested on Monday night after his in-laws, unable to get in touch with their daughter, confronted him.

A surgeon with Deen Dayal Upadhayay Hospital, Vibhash killed Supriya Tushar, an MBA-trained as an engineer, on Friday night, the police said.

"Vibhash told us that he strangled his 27-year-old wife as they were not on the same wavelength. They were emotionally and physically incompatible as well," V Renganathan, additional commissioner of police (west) said.

According to their neighbours, the couple, who lived in a rented accommodation in the Hari Nagar area of west Delhi, used to have frequent fights. Supriya wanted to work but Vibhash didn't allow her. The two, hailing from Jharkhand, had an arranged marriage in November 2010.

"On Friday, Supriya called up her mother and said her life was in danger," the officer said. Her parents called her up on Saturday, but the phone was switched off. Worried, they called up Vibhash, who misled them, saying he was not in Delhi but in Mathura. They flew to Delhi the following day. They reached Vibhash's residence but found the house locked. They confronted him on Monday and questioned about their daughter's whereabouts.

"A few moments later, he confessed to have strangled Supriya with her dupatta, placed her body in a bag and took it to Allahabad in his car before throwing it near the bridge," Renganathan said.

The deceased's parents alleged that Vibhash had started torturing her within two months of the marriage. "They got married on November 22 last year in Jharkhand. Within two months, my daughter started complaining of his misbehaviour and that he used to beat her regularly," Devendra Prasad, Supriya's father told the police.

In July, Supriya returned to her paternal house in Jharkhand but Vibhash brought her back to Delhi. Supriya's parents also told the police that she didn't like the fact that she had to ask Vibhash for money to run the house. "Whenever she asked for money, he used to tell her to get it from her parents," Prasad said.