Doctors rescue 3-year-old stuck in pressure cooker | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 03, 2016-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Doctors rescue 3-year-old stuck in pressure cooker

delhi Updated: May 10, 2011 23:48 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

In a bizarre incident, a three-year-old boy somehow got his head stuck in a pressure cooker. Shivam was playing with the pressure cooker on Monday evening, when his head accidentally got stuck in it.

But the story had a happy ending. Even though it took a team of 12 doctors at Bhagwan Mahavir Hospital, Pitampura, two hours to safely deliver Shivam from his ordeal, they accomplished the task.

Shivam, whose parents reside in north Delhi's Rani Bagh, did not realise, initially, that his head was stuck. But a few minutes later, he began crying, which attracted the attention of his family members, who were in an adjacent room.

The parents, with the help of neighbours, tried to release his head, but to no avail. Finally, they rushed him to a local nursing home. However, doctors at the nursing home casualty ward - who had never handled a case like this - advised the family to take the boy to a hospital. The parents then took him to the Bhagwan Mahavir Hospital.

Despite no prior experience of handling such a case, doctors on duty at the hospital emergency ward decided to cut open the mouth of the pressure cooker to free the toddler's head. All this while, Shivam was howling and calling out for his mother.

"We first pacified the kid. Later, we provided the necessary cushion for his head, so that he was not hurt. We then filled the cooker with a large quantity of cotton," said one of the doctors in the hospital, who was part of the team that came to Shivam's rescue.

Cutting open the pressure cooker was no easy task, though. It required a saw, screwdriver and metal-cutter to achieve the impossible feat of releasing Shivam's head without causing an injury. "The boy was so scared that he refused to touch the pressure cooker once out of it," said an eyewitness.