Journalist Syed Mohammed Ahmad Kazmi, arrested for his alleged role in the February 13 bomb attack at an Israeli diplomat car, sought bail from a Delhi court on Saturday pleading that he "should not be pushed to the point of committing suicide."
Arguing for bail before the court of Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav, Kazmi's counsel Gajinder Kumar said, "I (Kazmi) should not be pushed to a point where I am forced to commit suicide."
Kumar added his client's incarceration is the punishment for a crime that he did not commit.
He said Kazmi has been caught by the police because he has been vocal about views on certain issues and political matters.
"My (Kazmi's) opinion on certain issues cannot make me a conspirator to the crime," he said.
He also said the investigating agency has completed its investigation and had approached the court two days prior to his police custody was to expire on March 27, stating that his further custodial interrogation was not required.
"In fact investigating agency opted to transfer him to judicial custody as they were satisfied that there is nothing that the applicant (Kazmi) can disclose to them," Kumar said.
Denying the police allegation that Kazmi had provided logistic support to the other accused involved in the February 13 attack and helped them in conducting recce of the area, Kazmi's counsel said he has never been involved in any act detrimental to Indian interests.
Kazmi also denied the allegation of having made financial gains out of the offence and said "the transfers of illegal money, as shown in the media, are baseless."
He also said since he has a family in Delhi, he would not "pack his bags and flee."
Public Prosecutor Rajiv Mohan, meanwhile, argued that "there is a bar on bail being given to a person accused under Unlawful Activities Prevention Act."
He also said the investigation into the matter is still on and the police has the telephonic conversation between him (Kazmi) and other accused persons.
The police also referred to the "Enforcement Directorate notice for looking into the alleged foreign money received by Kazmi" and said even the vehicle used in connection with the incident was recovered from Kazmi's house.
Since, the arguments on Kazmi's bail application could not be concluded today, the matter will now come up for further
arguments on April 2.
Meanwhile, Kazmi also moved an application seeking details of officials, who interrogated him in police custody as his counsel said the police has been silent on whether IB and RAW sleuths interrogated him.
"All they have said is that Kazmi was not interrogated by Mossad. But we want to know if he was interrogated by RAW and IB even as the custody was given only to Delhi Police," Kumar said.
The court has asked the police to file a reply.
Kumar also asked the court to direct the agency "not to make public his interrogation or details of the case as it hampered his right to privacy."
Kazmi, who claims to have been writing for an Iranian publication, was picked up by the Special Cell of Delhi Police after the probe showed he had been in touch with a suspect who is believed to have stuck the magnetic bomb on Israeli diplomat Tal Yehoshua's car on February 13.
Yehoshua and an Indian driver of the Embassy vehicle were among four people injured in the incident.