The information and broadcasting (I&B) ministry has asked the media not to report or issue news releases relating to movement of Indian troops.
The ministry advisory has been issued after an Allahabad High Court order on Tuesday, directing the union home secretary, I&B ministry secretary and the principal secretary (home), Uttar Pradesh, "to ensure that there is no reports or release of any news items by print as well as electronic media" relating to the movement of troops.
Warning of strict action, the advisory said: "Any violation in the matter shall not only amount to contempt of court but also violation of the Programme Code."
"Therefore, all the private satellite TV channels are advised to scrupulously and strictly follow the aforesaid directives…," it said.
The movement of troops had been a focal point in a story reported in an English daily on how the movements had "spooked" the government. The story was followed up by all major news channels and print publications.
On Tuesday, the court had said, "The movement of army troops is not the kind of matter that should require public discussion at the cost of official secrecy and the security of country."
The court had passed the order after a PIL was filed by social activist and freelance journalist Dr Nutan Thakur. Thakur contended that such reports comprise serious interference in the handling of security issues by the army.