Drugged, woman fights robber | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Drugged, woman fights robber

delhi Updated: Feb 02, 2010 00:12 IST
Jatin Anand
Jatin Anand
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A 48-year-old woman was allegedly drugged, attacked and had her wrist slashed before being robbed of Rs 8 lakh in her southwest Delhi residence on Sunday.

But even in the face of imminent death, Jaswinder Kaur didn’t give up.

The incident occurred around 9:45 pm on Sunday at her A-block residence in Naraina Vihar. “The man barged into her third-floor residence, drugged her with chloroform and assaulted her when she resisted,” said a senior police officer.

“He decamped with Rs 8 lakh in cash and jewellery,” he added.

Kaur, whose husband Dharmender Singh (50) owns a motor parts manufacturing factory in Noida, was alone at her third-floor residence, when the incident took place.

“Our house is undergoing renovation, so the main door must have been left open by a labourer. I was watching an award function on television in my bedroom when the man, wearing a monkey cap, barged into the room and demanded the keys to the locker,” she said.

The assailant then allegedly thrust a cloth drenched in chloroform at her nose with his right hand, as he forced the back of her neck into it with the other.

“My head felt heavy and I couldn’t move my limbs even as he started rummaging for anything he could get his hands on in the cupboard,” said Kaur.

As the robber plundered her home before her eyes, Kaur, a petite but burly woman, fought the intoxication and hurled herself at the assailant.

“I caught hold of his collar with one hand, held my mobile phone with the other and called my husband,” she said.

It was then that the man slashed her wrist with a knife, pushed her away and left her bleeding on the floor of her home where she has been living for the past 17 years — just 20 minutes after he barged in.

“He took some of my jewellery, cosmetics and Rs 8 lakh which were part of the money we had received after the sale of a factory in Noida,” she said.

Police said Kaur was rushed to the Safdurjung Hospital and was discharged late at night.

However, the night guard who had been taken into custody for questioning said that nobody entered the building after 9.30 pm, police said.

“A case of theft has been registered at the Naraina Police Station and we are looking into Kaur’s allegation that the man had a friendly entry into the house,” said the officer.