DTC to buy 625 new non-AC low floor buses | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 16, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

DTC to buy 625 new non-AC low floor buses

delhi Updated: Sep 18, 2012 00:33 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) will buy 625 non-AC low floor buses to strengthen its bus fleet. These buses will replace the ageing fleet of standard floor buses, which have already run beyond the prescribed mileage of 5 lakh kilometre and are more than 10-years-old.

The Delhi cabinet on Monday gave the go-ahead to the DTC to buy new buses. Chief minister Sheila Dikshit said the government will spend R330 crore to buy these buses. Each bus will cost DTC R52.78 lakh. The bus manufacturers will maintain these buses for the next 12 years or till the buses run for 7.5 lakh kilometres.

Senior DTC officials said these buses will be bought under Jawahar lal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission. While 65 per cent of the cost will be borne by the state government, the remaining 35 per cent will come from the Centre.

DTC has 5,667 buses, which includes 3,781 low-floor and 1,886 standard-floor buses. Officials said 1,742 standard-floor buses will be scrapped by November 2012.