The leftover seats in the OBC category in the Delhi University will be thrown open to students of general categories this year in line with the directions of the Supreme Court and Ministry of HRD.
Guidelines will be followed to make sure students are not left out even as seats in the reserved category are vacant in this year's admission process that begins on June one, DU Vice Chancellor Deepak Pental told reporters on Friday.
The measure assumes significance in view of nearly 2,000 seats in the reserved category remaining vacant last year due to unavailability of eligible candidates.
"On the issue, we will follow the guidelines laid down by the Supreme Court and the MHRD and seats left vacant in the reserved category will be opened for other categories," Pental said.
The university will also increase its seats by another 18 per cent this year to implement the OBC quota. The university had increased the seats by 18 per cent last year also. The cut-off may go down as a result of the increase in the number of seats.
"If results of CBSE and other boards remain comparable to last year, the cut-off might be a little low, and the difference in cut-offs between the General and the OBC category will not be more than 10 per cent," he said.