Earphones drown horn, 2 Noida bikers run over | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 20, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Earphones drown horn, 2 Noida bikers run over

delhi Updated: Oct 20, 2014 02:00 IST
Abhishek Anand
Abhishek Anand
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Two bike-borne men were run over by a speeding dumper in Noida’s Sector 51 on Sunday morning.

The victims, identified as Shahwaz, 24, and Maange, 21, were riding a Hero Splendor bike and reportedly had earphones on when the accident took place. Police said both the bodies were recovered with the earphones still dangling from their ears.

According to police, the victims were on their way to Mamura area. They reached the Hoshiarpur crossing and apparently switched lanes and ended up directly in front of the speeding dumper.

Since both the victims had their earphones plugged in, they failed to listen to or pay heed to the warning horns of the dumper which then ran them over.

The speeding truck applied its brakes, but couldn’t swerve out of the way in time and crushed the duo under its front tyres.

“Some locals rushed the youths to a nearby hospital where the doctors declared them dead on arrival,” said a senior police officer.

No one was able to note down the registration number of the dumper as it was covered with mud and cement. Later, local residents blocked the Sector 51 road for about 45 minutes alleging police’s inaction had helped the driver flee from the spot.

The police managed to disperse the protest peacefully. Police said the witnesses confirmed that the deceased failed to listen or pay heed to the dumper’s horn which led to the incident.

“We are trying to locate any CCTVs installed in the nearby place that might have captured the dumper’s registration number,” said , Rajkumar Mishra, Circle Officer III, Noida City.

According to the police, Maange hailed from Molabad village of Secundrabad, had three younger sisters in his family and was about to get married. He was the lone breadwinner of the family after his father passed away years ago.

The other victim, Shahwaz, worked at a garments factory at Mamura area. He lived with his family at Shaheen Bagh of Delhi.

“The identities of the deceased were confirmed by their phones. Their families have been contacted and the bodies sent for post-mortem examinations,” he added.