Elderly couple suffocate to death | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 08, 2016-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Elderly couple suffocate to death

delhi Updated: Jan 14, 2011 01:48 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A gas heater and zero ventilation reportedly led to the death of an elderly couple in the Capital on Wednesday. The incident happened at Paryawaran Complex, Mehrauli, in South Delhi area.

The deceased Avinash Prasad (65) and his wife Prema (56) were found dead in their bedroom at their third-floor house in the area. http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/HTEditImages/Images/140111/13_01_11_metro_10.jpg

Preliminary investigations revealed that the couple died of suffocation as the bedroom, where their bodies were found, was poorly ventilated. There was excess carbon monoxide in the room, the police said.

According to the police, due to the cold, the couple cranked up their gas heater. With no ventilation in the room — the windows were found shut — the couple allegedly suffocated and died in their sleep.

The two were found dead by their relative. “Their domestic help rang the doorbell for a long time and when no one responded he alerted the neighbours, who then tried to call the deceased. When no one opened the door, they alerted one of their relatives," said a senior police officer requesting anonymity, as he was not authorised to speak to the media.

According to the police, the relative then broke into the house through a window.

In his statement to the police, the relative said that when he entered the room, the two were lying dead in their bed, with the gas heater turned on.

"The bodies had no injury marks. We will conduct a post-mortem examination to rule out any foul play," added the officer.