Eyewitness claims cop with baton had arrived before PCR van | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 17, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Eyewitness claims cop with baton had arrived before PCR van

delhi Updated: Sep 21, 2013 03:13 IST
Highlight Story

The mystery surrounding NRI Anmol Sarna’s death has deepened. Ajit Sahi, a senior journalist and a prime eyewitness in the case, has claimed that a constable had arrived at the crime scene three to four minutes before the arrival of the police control room (PCR) van.

He claimed that the constable, probably from the Kalkaji station, was in plain clothes and was carrying a baton.

Sahi’s claims added to the confusion as he said Sarna wasn’t bleeding when he walked to the PCR van. He said that the two arrested guards, Naresh Mishra and Surender Bali, were innocent.

“I am an eyewitness but I am surprised that to date, the police have not recorded my statement. They are threatening other residents who were present at the spot,” Sahi told HT.

Though Anmol’s autopsy report confirmed that one of the three injuries on his head was caused by a baton, investigators are finding it difficult to establish that the guards caused that injury. Sahi’s claims of the presence of the police constable is likely to force the police to probe the case from this angle as well, sources said.

The journalist has pointed out that the statements of policemen, who arrived in the PCR van on the scene of the crime that night, had not been recorded.

A senior police officer, however, claimed that they had talked to the PCR staff and their official statements would be recorded if required. The officer refuted the allegations of a possible attack on Sarna inside the PCR van.

“There were blood stains on the ground and on the four parked vehicles. We have pictures of the PCR van, clicked after Sarna was admitted in the hospital, that shows blood at the back of the vehicle on which he was sitting.

Moreover, Pranel’s father, who made the first PCR call, was in the van all through the journey to AIIMS and we have recorded his statement,” the senior officer said.