Fifth victim was young father; who is responsible for his death? | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 04, 2016-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Fifth victim was young father; who is responsible for his death?

delhi Updated: Jun 29, 2010 00:44 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

It was his last ride on the motorcycle that he bought only three months ago.

"He was excited. His wife had sent some home-made snacks for him and he was going to get them from a relative in Faridabad. He told us that he would treat us all when he comes back," said Sajjan Pandit, a close aide of Keshav Dutt Ojha (25) who became the fifth victim to die at the Moolchand underpass in south Delhi in the past five days.

HT has been carrying reports about the spate of deaths at the underpass.

Ojha, a priest at Sanatan Dharm Mandir in East Punjabi Bagh was killed around 8 pm on Sunday at the underpass when he was on way to Faridabad.

"I saw his body, it had been badly crushed from the right side. After he was thrown from his motorcycle, he fell on his head and was crushed by a Blueline bus from behind," said Hiteshwar Ojha, a distant relative of Ojha.

Ojha, a native of Pithoragarh in Uttarakhand, had come to Delhi three years ago to make a living.

"His wife is expecting their second child and is eight months pregnant. He also has a two-year-old son. Now who will take care of the family?" said Nityanand Bhatt, another friend of Ojha.

Ojha's body has been preserved at the AIIMS Trauma Centre mortuary until his two brothers arrive from the village.

"We have registered a case of death due to negligence and will fix responsibility soon," said a senior police officer.

The local police have written to Delhi Traffic Police and have asked them to expedite the matter with the PWD that is overseeing the project.

"We called the contractor on the project and have pulled him up, have asked him to speed things. " said a police officer.