A 33-year-old film-maker was electrocuted in south Delhi’s Green Park during Saturday’s downpour. His family alleged that he was denied medical care by AIIMS and Safdarjung hospitals when they rushed him there.
The man, Anand Bhaskar Morla, a resident of Saket, died after he came in contact with an iron gate that was exposed to live electric cables, his family alleged. Morla had gone to the Green Park branch of Bank of India around 12.45 pm on Saturday with his wife, their three-year-old son and his grandmother. He parked his car outside the building and went to the bank with his grandmother.
“His wife and son were sitting inside the car when Morla and his grandmother returned. He opened the left rear door for his grandmother and the car’s door touched the iron gate, which had come in contact with the wires. Due to the electric shock, he fell on the ground that was flooded,” said a police officer.
Sanjay Parikh, a senior Supreme Court lawyer and a family friend of the victim, said: “Morla was rushed to AIIMS but doctors refused admission, saying they don’t accept such cases and the patient should be taken to Safdarjung Hospital. The staff at Safdarjung Hospital said the same and due to the delay, Morla could not be saved.”
Parikh alleged that a couple of air-conditioners and a diesel power generator were installed near the gate. “The half-exposed wires of the ACs and diesel power generator are wrapped around the iron fence connected to the gate,” he added. The police have registered a case. While AIIMS officials were not available for comment, a senior doctor at Safdarjung Hospital said Morla was brought dead to the hospital.