A major fire broke out in two godowns of a hardware and paint shop in central Delhi Chawri Bazar area on Saturday night. Though no one was injured in the blaze, goods worth lakhs of rupees were damaged.
The incident was reported to the fire department around 11.30 pm. Eight fire tenders were sent to the spot to douse the flame. More than 10 firemen took more than an hour to control the fire, which probably broke out due to short-circuit, an officer said.
According to a senior police officer, the godowns are located close to the Chawri Bazar metro station. The fire originated from one of the two godowns and soon spread to the other godown.