Five-year-old stable but not speaking much: Family | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 26, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Five-year-old stable but not speaking much: Family

delhi Updated: Apr 23, 2013 02:00 IST
Sidhartha Dutta

The five-year-old rape victim, undergoing treatment at AIIMS, is stable and improving. Doctors treating her say that though infections remain a cause for concern, they may be able to discharge her by next week if she continues to show improvement at this rate.

On Monday morning, she enjoyed her favourite milk warmed with a little tea on her bed. Apart from a mild cough, she has mild fever because of the infection.

"She replies to our questions and nods her head but is speaking slowly as she is very weak. She keeps asking for food, but is not able to eat much," said the girl's father. The hospital gave her khichdi (lentil-rice gruel) for lunch, but she did not eat more than two tablespoons, he said.

"She is stable and if she continues to improve like this, we will be in a position to discharge her later this week or early next week. Infection is a concern, especially where she lives and that's why we would like to keep her till she recovers fully," said a senior doctor at the hospital.

Earlier, when her uncle asked her if she wanted to go home, the little girl had nodded in affirmation immediately.

Under sedation, the already silent little girl has become quieter, said her father. "She usually stays indoors and plays at home. She hardly speaks with anyone in the neighbourhood," said her father, who works as a daily wager in Gandhi Nagar area. His wife stays at home, looking after their daughter and a younger two-year-old son.

Demanding death sentence for the accused, he said: "We had no idea who the kidnapper was, we didn't know him. He should be beaten up in public and should be hanged till death."

Meanwhile, the condition of the 13-year-old gang rape victim who attempted suicide is still critical. She was shifted to AIIMS on Monday. The girl had attempted suicide at her residence on Saturday. The police have arrested the sixth accused in the case. The girl was gang-raped by eight men in Ghaziabad.