If you are not careful, your kite flying adventure near or on Independence Day can lead to power tripping or electrocution.
"Metal-coated manjha can lead to tripping and even electrocution. We have advised people to be responsible while flying kites and avoid such activities near electricity installations and overhead wires. Last year, tripping took place due to 23 kite-related activities in the BSES area, leading to outages," said a spokesperson.
According to officials, tripping related outages can take anywhere between 15 minutes to two hours to rectify.
"The wide-spread use of metal-coated manjha, which is a good conductor of electricity, poses a great danger. This manjha can be fatal not only to the person flying the kite, but also poses a risk to the electricity supply of an area. Each year, there are several instances on both counts," said a BSES official.
"As per rough estimates, tripping of just one 33/66 KV overhead line can disrupt power supply to over 10,000 residents. And a tripping of a single 11 KV line can affect supply to over 2,500 residents. Each year, there are scores of such incidents."