For safety, police tell RWAs to issue ID cards to vendors | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 23, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

For safety, police tell RWAs to issue ID cards to vendors

delhi Updated: Jan 20, 2012 00:10 IST
Faizan Haider
Faizan Haider
Hindustan Times
Faizan Haider

To ensure the safety of residents, Delhi Police have asked Resident Welfare Associations (RWAs) to issue identity cards to vendors and workers doing odd jobs, who operate within colonies.

The project has been initiated on a trial basis in a few blocks of Greater Kailash and Chitranjan Park and will be implemented in other parts of the city too.

“We had asked the RWAs to form a panel and verify vendors entering colonies. We verified them, and issued them identity cards. Now only those having I-cards can enter the colony,” a senior police officer said.

“This initiative has been taken up in few areas and if successful, we will start it in other parts too,” he added. Police are planning to do the same for workers who perform odd jobs. “This is for the safety of residents and we have advised them to form a panel of workers and get them verified. After shortlisting, I-cards can be issued to a few of them,” he added.

I-cards will also be issued to dhobis, vendors, domestic helps and even painters. “We keep reminding residents to get their domestic helps and tenants verified,” the officer said.

“Recently, many criminal cases have involved domestic helps. We have taken several steps to ensure residents are hiring verified domestic helps. Now, it is time to get even those who who visit houses for odd jobs such as electricians, painters, carpenters, mechanics and plumbers, verified,” the officer further said. A senior police officer said that RWAs should give proper employment to these workers and get them verified.

“What they can do is to work as placement cell. They can give permanent employment to these workers and take money from residents. Whenever required, these verified workers can go to any house and do the required work,” the officer said.

What you need to do

Form a panel of workers required for odd jobs and get them verified by police

RWAs should be in-charge of the panel and residents shouldn’t hire workers from outside

I-cards should be issued to all in the panel, and those without an I-card should not be hired

Senior citizens should not be left alone when a worker is present in the house.

Residents, however, felt that forming a panel of workers was tough, but they would make all efforts to ensure their safety.

“This can also lead to corruption, as a group of people will decide who will enter your colony. The idea is good but implementation is difficult,” said Ranjana, a resident of CR Park.

Tata Tea’s Anthem of apathy
Partnered feature