Four firemen and a policeman were injured while trying to douse a fire at a four-storey building in Chandni Chowk area in central Delhi.
The building went up in flames on Sunday evening
after plastic stored in the ground floor of the structure caught fire following a suspected short-circuit. The structure later collapsed.
The fire department had to send in as many 30 fire tenders to control the blaze. However, till late evening, they were not able to douse the fire, as it had spread to nearby buildings.
According to the police, none of the local residents were injured in the fire that was reported from Maliwada locality of Nayi Sadak area at 5pm. The police said there were no casualties because it was a Sunday.
"Some of the circuitry, which is old, caught fire. As there were tonnes plastic material in the building, the fire just kept increasing," said a senior fire official, on the condition of anonymity, as he is not authorised to speak to the media.
"The building houses a godown of plastic. The approach to the building was very narrow. We had to park the fire tenders around 500m on the main road and then take the hoses to the building," the official said.
They used fire hoses as long as 30m, as the fire tenders were far from the spot.
Soon after the incident was reported, the official said, power supply to the area was snapped, and people residing in the adjoining buildings were evacuated as a precautionary measure.
He said the fire officials faced a host of problems, as there were leakages in the hoses they were using. The hoses were leaking at about ten spots and a large quantity of water did not reach the building, he said.
The official said the narrow lanes were also an impediment for fire fighters to reach the spot and initiate the exercise.
The firemen and the policeman were injured during the rescue operation. The injured were immediately taken to a nearby hospital.