Four killed in 3 separate fatal accidents | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 22, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Four killed in 3 separate fatal accidents

delhi Updated: Sep 04, 2011 23:53 IST
Highlight Story

Four persons, including three youths, were killed and two grievously injured in three separate accidents occurred in the Capital in the early hours on Sunday.

The first incident took place at around 4 am on Moti Bagh flyover in south Delhi’s Dhaula Kuan.

Two youths from Chandigarh lost their lives, while their friend, also from Chandigarh, was injured when their speeding black Tata Safari smashed into a slow moving truck.

The deceased have been identified as Rahul Walia and Prashant Mehta.

Their injured friend, who was driving the SUV, has been identified as Har Pratap Gill. All three are aged 23.

Police believe the mishap may have occurred due to heavy rains and that the speeding car would have skidded after the driver applied sudden brake.

"The SUV was badly damaged from the left as it had rammed into the truck, loaded with wood, from behind at the foot of the flyover,” said a senior officer adding Gill had sustained minor injury in his eye and was discharged after first aid.

"Walia, seated in the front passenger seat, had died on the spot while Mehta, who was on the back seat, was declared brought dead at AIIMS Trauma centre,” the officer added.

Police have registered a case of causing death due to negligence at the South Campus police station and have confiscated both the truck and the SUV.

Bodies of the deceased were handed over to their families after post-mortem examination.

The bodies have been taken back to Chandigarh for cremation.

In the second accident a 45-year-old Head Constable posted in south Delhi’s Mehrauli police station was mowed down by an unknown vehicle in Delhi Cantonment area.

The victim, identified as Rakesh Kumar, was returning to his Palam Village residence on his Bajaj Pulsar motorcycle when the accident took place at around 1.30 am.

Police said Rakesh’s motorcycle was hit from behind by an unknown vehicle on the MG Road, opposite to the office of Rajputana Rifles.

"The impact of the hit was so powerful that Rakesh fell off his bike and suffered severe injuries," said a senior police officer adding Rakesh is survived by his wife and two children.

"He had probably died on the spot as his body had been lying on the road for several minutes before a passerby saw it and made a PCR call. He was rushed to Safdarjung hospital where the doctors declared him brought dead," the officer added.

A case of hit and run has been registered against unknown person.

The third accident took place in Northwest Delhi’s Bharat Nagar where a 22-year-old youth was killed while his friend critically injured when the speeding Honda City car they were in turned turtle after hitting an electric pole.

The accident took place at around 3.45 am near Laxmibai College.

The deceased has been identified as Gagandeep, a resident of Tagore Garden while his injured friend was identified as Harmeet Singh.