The Delhi High Court on Wednesday asked the Delhi government to frame guidelines for admission to pre-primary classes that will be applicable to all schools in the Capital.
The court was hearing a plea for stopping various private schools from admitting children below four years of age in their pre-primary (nursery) classes.
Lawyer Ashok Agarwal, appearing for NGO Social Jurist, told the court that "despite court's orders and directions issued by education department of Delhi government, admissions were given at the age of 3+ in nursery class by private schools".
He also accused the government of not enforcing the court's September 2007 order, which had asked it to implement Ashok Ganguly Committee recommendations in this regard.
"There is a need to frame the guidelines immediately as though the academic session commences in April, schools begin the process as early as December," he said.
A bench headed by acting Chief Justice AK Sikri asked the directorate of education to frame the guidelines and file an affidavit before the court by December 14, the next date of hearing.
Parents in the meanwhile are a worried lot because of the delay in the formulation of guidelines.
"We are confused. The government seems to be delaying the process again deliberately to push through their guidelines without discussion. If they do not declare the guidelines by December 14, when will the forms release and when will we begin applying," said Vinita De, a resident of Mayapuri.
"The government should not delay the process like it did last year. There is a lot of anxiousness among parents, especially among those whose children will turn four in April. The ruling has special significance for them," said Sumit Vohra, founder of admissionnursery.com, the biggest portal for parents in India.