The Delhi education department has given schools a free hand in conducting nursery admissions yet again.
Guidelines for students under the general category will remain the same as last year as the education minister has kept his word and not changed anything.
As per this year’s guidelines, 25% of all seats will have to be reserved for students from the economically weaker sections. Out of the remaining 75%, a maximum of 20% may be reserved for the school’s management quota. The age criteria, which the Delhi High Court is reviewing, will remain the same.
Education minister Arvinder Singh said the Ganguly Committee’s recommendations are being followed when it comes to minimum age for admission to pre-primary.
“Pre-primary is one class before primary education. In Delhi, for schools that have both nursery and kindergarten classes, the age for admission is 3+. Whereas, for those schools that have only nursery, this age is 4+. We are following the recommendations,” he said.
Like last year, schools will be free to decide the criteria on which they will admit students. But all schools will have to follow the Right to Education Act guidelines. “No school will be allowed to ask any questions about salary or educational background of parents. Only in the case of EWS students, an income proof will be required. No schools will be allowed to screen or interview children or parents,” Singh said.
Last year, most schools had selected students on points for neighbourhood, sibling in same school, alumni, single parents and transfer cases. But there is some relief for parents who fail to fit in these categories. At least 15% of the seats will be filled through the lottery system.
The admission process for EWS students has, however, undergone a complete change.
The directorate of education has devised a common admission form for EWS students that can be downloaded from the website edudel.nic.in or collected from schools. The form will be completely free of cost.
The guidelines have elicited mixed reactions from parents.
“Parents have all expressed their disillusionment. The free hand to schools is not a fair move,” said Sumit Vohra, founder, admissionsnursery.com a forum for parents.
But others were largely satisfied. “Other than the age criteria, parents were largely satisfied with last year’s guidelines,” said Raj Arora, who has another forum for parents, nurseryadmissions.in.