With the municipal polls drawing closer, the election commission has come up with some fresh guidelines for candidates.
The MCD is scheduled to be split into three bodies (east, south and north) in April. Earlier, a candidate could contest from any ward. But the notification issued by the election commission on Friday states that a candidate, willing to contest from a ward in south Delhi corporation can do so only if his name figures on the voters' list of any of wards falling under that entity.
The notification further states that a candidate must be at least 21 years old.
Leader of the House Subhash Arya and leader of the opposition Jai Kishen Sharma said the new ruling would not have much impact as the candidates could still change their voter registration. "So far, none of the candidates have been affected as they contest from their own wards or a nearby ward. But if at all, a candidate is affected, he still has time to get himself enrolled with the corporation of his choice," Arya said.