Gang abducts girl, 2 arrested | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Gang abducts girl, 2 arrested

delhi Updated: Jul 25, 2011 00:07 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

Minutes after they abducted a young woman going home from a graveyard shift at a prominent mall in Gurgaon, a cab driver's alertness and an unfortunate series of U-turns in the capital's southern outback landed two drunk college students in police custody.

Chhaya Sharma, deputy commissioner of police (south) said Kartar Singh, 22, and Pramod Singh, 23, and their friends Ravish Nagar, Deepak and Arun were out partying to celebrate Kartar Singh's brand new Scorpio before they decided to abduct the victim-a nightclub's junior supervisor-on a whim.

"The incident came after a party in Faridabad to celebrate Kartar's new SUV. The gang of five, of whom three are absconding, consumed liquor and then proceeded to Gurgaon to 'have some fun'," DCP Sharma said.

While Kartar, a BSc final year student, also runs a play school with his sister, Pramod has just finished his BBA from a prestigious institute in Faridabad.

Police say, the gang's plan was to party at a disco in Gurgaon. When they reached there, the drunk gang tried to enter a night club but were not allowed.

"Around 2 am, they went to an adjacent mall where they spotted, and misbehaved with, the victim who was about to return home after her shift ended. As the victim left the mall with some other women, the youths chased and intercepted them before abducting the girl and fleeing towards Faridabad," said a senior police officer.

Police said the girls had hired a private cab to go to their Badarpur residence. The drunk men intercepted the cab near Ghitorni around 3 am.

"As soon as the cab stopped, the men dragged the victim into their SUV. When the complainant and the other women resisted, they beat them up," DCP Sharma said.

Police said, the gang also took away the remaining girls' cellphones and the cab keys from Amit, the driver. However, Amit had a mobile phone and once the accused left, he immediately called the police.

"At Aya Nagar, on seeing a police checkpost, they immediately took a U-turn on the wrong carriageway and sped away. Their plan was to take an unconventional route via Jaunapur to reach the highway connecting Gurgaon and Faridabad so that could make a hasty exit from Delhi," said DCP Sharma.

However, the gang was intercepted by a police party before they could reach Jaunapur and forced them to take another 'U' turn. In their haste, the gang entered a dead-end alley.

"While Kartar and Pramod were caught, Ravish, Deepak and Arun managed to slip past. They will be nabbed soon," DCP Sharma added.