Girl dies while swimming at south Delhi sports complex | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Girl dies while swimming at south Delhi sports complex

delhi Updated: Jul 21, 2010 23:06 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A 13-year-old girl, who collapsed and later died while swimming at a south Delhi sports complex on Tuesday night, has raised serious concerns about the safety of children at various swimming pools across the Capital.

According to police, the incident happened at the Khajan Singh Sports Complex in the old Jawahar Lal Nehru University campus.

The deceased Amrita Singh, a resident of Vasant Kunj, was swimming at the time of the incident. Her mother and younger brother were also at the spot.

According to police the incident happened around 9:00 pm. “Amrita had been learning swimming for the past two months. She also had a swimming coach. On Tuesday, she had gone for her usual swimming classes. Her mother Kiran and brother Jasraj were with her,” said a senior police officer on condition of anonymity, as he is not authorised to speak to the media.

The police said that the depth of the pool is around six- feet. They added that till some time Amrita did not have any problems in swimming and was managing herself well.

“Her mother, who had accompanied the deceased to the complex , was watching her swim all the time. But at one point of time, one of the lifeguards noticed that Amrita’s face was above the water and she was not making any movement. After noticing it for a few more seconds the lifeguard sensed something wrong and jumped into the pool in an effort to rescue her,” added the officer.

The lifeguard and others immediately took the minor out of the pool and tried to give her first aid.

They then took her to a nearby private hospital, where she was declared brought dead. Following this the police was informed and the body was sent to All India Institute of Medical Science for post-mortem examination.

After the autopsy, the body was handed over to the family members. The police said that they would register a case once they get the FIR report.

They are, however, questioning the lifeguards and the nature of security arrangements for children at the complex.

Amrita was a student of a private school. Her father is a businessman.