Govt probe confirms differently-abled man was harassed by restaurant | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 23, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Govt probe confirms differently-abled man was harassed by restaurant

delhi Updated: Mar 16, 2015 01:46 IST
Faizan Haider
nipun malhotra


The Delhi government’s inquiry into the alleged denial of entry to a differently-abled person by Keya restaurant in south Delhi’s DLF Promenade mall on March 6 has confirmed discrimination.

Nipun Malhotra, who was born with arthrogryposis — a rare congenital disorder due to which the joints of a person’s body does not move as normal and may even be stuck in one position and often the muscles around these joints are thin, weak, stiff or missing — had gone for dinner on Holi when the manager did not allow him inside the restaurant as their policy allegedly doesn’t allow differently-abled people.

The staff and manager of the restaurant took the decision of not allowing him to enter under the right to reserve admission, according to the report of sub-divisional magistrate.

“As per the facts that emerged during investigation, it is clear that an argument had taken place on that night and it was found that the wheelchair was battery operated which suggests Malhotra was forcibly stopped,” said a Delhi government official, requesting anonymity.

Deputy CM Manish Sisodia had directed the SDM, Vasant Vihar to submit the factual report. Delhi government also checked the CCTV footage and call records and said that it is clear that the manager took the decision.

“The inquiry has concluded that restaurant staff resorts to cherry picking. The evidence suggests that courteous behavior was not extended towards Malhotra,” the official added. Government is not likely to take any severe action but will issue a warning or show cause notice to the restaurant on Monday.

Government said it will device a guideline to ensure that such incidents are not repeated in other parts of the city.

“The fact is that he (Malhotra) alone was not stopped but his whole group was stopped. Though we are waiting for the report to come out in totality and we have not received any kind of official intimation from government yet,” said Anusiya Sahdev, spokesperson of Keya.