Govt to put judiciary on fast track | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 26, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Govt to put judiciary on fast track

Barely two years after it had shut down 1,200 fast track courts across the country, citing financial hardships and vacancies of judges, public outrage following the gangrape in Delhi has forced the government to pump Rs.2,500 crore to revive them. HT reports.

delhi Updated: Jan 30, 2013 00:42 IST
HT Correspondent

Barely two years after it had shut down 1,200 fast track courts across the country, citing financial hardships and vacancies of judges, public outrage following the gangrape in Delhi has forced the government to pump Rs.2,500 crore to revive them.

The government had discontinued financial grants to states for running the fast track courts from March 31, 2011, after having funded them for 10 years since 2001. The SC had upheld its decision last year in April.

The public anger, however, made the government reverse its stand. It has now told the state governments and chief justices of all high courts to set up dedicated fast track courts for conducting time-bound trials in cases of heinous crimes against women.

“The Centre will bear 75% cost of setting up such courts and states will be required to provide only the remaining 25% amount. Half of the Rs.5,000 crore provided by 13th Finance Commission for improving the justice delivery system till 2015 will be utilised on fast track courts," law minister Ashwani Kumar told HT.

Of 18,000 sanctioned posts of judges in lower courts, at least 3,000 are currently vacant.

Delay erodes faith’
Meanwhile, noting that delays erode people’s faith in the judicial system, the SC on Tuesday said chief justices of high courts should devise mechanism for quick disposal of cases.

Is Your Couch Making You Cough?
Promotional Feature