Grandma forces conmen to flee without vehicle | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 25, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Grandma forces conmen to flee without vehicle

delhi Updated: Oct 16, 2010 00:20 IST
Harish V Nair

A 48-year-old woman fought off a gang of motorcycle-borne snatchers, forcing them to leave their vehicle behind. The incident occurred in Sujan Singh Park area of New Delhi on Friday afternoon.

Guddi Devi, her daughter Rajni and two-year-old grandson, were waiting for an autorickshaw at a bus stop near their house residence around noon, when two men, calling themselves Delhi Police officers, approached them.

"They were on their way to our physician's clinic in Khan Market when the two men came to them. They said they were police officers and advised my mother and sister to take off their jewellery and carry it in their handbags for security reasons," said Upendra Kumar, Devi's son.

One of the "officers" was in the process of frisking two men on a red Pulsar, when the other approached Devi, who is the wife of a Press Information Bureau (PIB) official.

"She asked the officer to produce his ID card, which he did. But after that, the officer tried to hurry her by helping my mother take her bangles off. Although they felt uneasy, she and my sister complied and started putting the jewellery in a bag," Kumar added.

However, while the women were putting the jewellery in a handbag, the men on the Pulsar, who were being frisked by the officer, whizzed past them and tried to snatch the bag.

"But my mother acted quickly. She stood in front of the bike and started screaming for help. When onlookers started walking towards the spot, my mother sat on the front wheel of the motorcycle to ensure that the assailants couldn't drive away," Kumar said.

Hearing the commotion, a PCR van, stationed nearby, too, came to help.

As the crowd gathered the gang reportedly fled the scene fearing for their lives. However, they left the handbag and their motorcycle behind.

"The victim's complaint was registered on the spot and she was given immediate medical aid. We are investigating the matter," said a senior Delhi Police officer.