Gupta, Sibal spar over fees | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 22, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Gupta, Sibal spar over fees

delhi Updated: Apr 27, 2009 00:29 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

Congress candidate from Chandni Chowk Kapil Sibal claimed the BJP was unnecessarily politicising the issue of fee hike by unaided schools. Sibal’s rival, Vijender Gupta of BJP, is also the president of the Delhi Abhibhavak Mahasangh and has staged protests against some schools on the fee hike issue.

“The BJP is grandstanding, it’s a poll gimmickry to gain votes,” Sibal said.

Sibal said that after the recommendations of the of Sixth Pay Commission, the government had fixed a norm that 25 per cent of the hike in teachers’ salaries was to be charged from parents, while the remaining 75 per cent was to be provided from the school reserves. But some schools, he said, were not adhering to this norm.

“The Delhi government has made it clear that no school will be allowed to hike fees without the due approval of the general body of its parent-teacher association,” he said.

He claimed that he has already taken the initiative to resolve the fee hike issue by forcing some schools to postpone their decision.

“The matter of children’s education is of crucial importance to nation building and it is unfortunate that the BJP candidate is exploiting the issue to further his own political ambitions,” he said.

“Why has he done absolutely nothing to improve the state of MCD schools?” he said.

Vijender Gupta, however, was unwilling to relent. “Sibal is rubbing salt on the wounds of parents. He is acting as the spokesman of the government and the school managements instead of supporting parents,” Gupta said.

“He wants the movement against fee hike, which affects 20 lakh parents, to collapse,” he said. “He is trying to misguide parents and divert the focus by talking about MCD schools,” Gupta said.

Tata Tea’s Anthem of apathy
Partnered feature