A four-year-old girl, whose hand had to be amputated due to electrocution five years ago, was on Tuesday awarded a compensation of Rs7.5 lakh by the Delhi high court.
Directing the power distribution firm, BSES Rajdhani Power, to pay the amount to the minor within a month, Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw allowed Baby Anjum's plea seeking compensation from the company for its negligence leading to loss of her hand.
"The negligence of respondent (discom) is writ at large and speaks for itself. Considering the petitioner is a girl child and has to lead her entire life with handicap, which has been evaluated by Safdarjung hospital at 85%, I feel the compensation of Rs7.5 lakh to be appropriate," Justice Endlaw said.
The girl's father had said in his petition that the BSES had installed a transformer on an electric pole adjacent to his house at Indra Park near Najafgarh in West Delhi with the transformer barely being at an arm's length from the roof of his house.
The girls' father claimed despite his request to remove the transformer, as it was dangerous for the people staying in the house, nothing had been done by the company.
In March 2007, his daughter came in contact with the transformer while playing on the rooftop of her house, he said adding that she got electric shock due to which she fell from the roof and one of her hands had to be amputated to save her life.