HC asks varsity to explore taking over Army Medical College | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 23, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

HC asks varsity to explore taking over Army Medical College

delhi Updated: May 31, 2011 00:45 IST
Highlight Story

Upset over the Army Medical College's decision against holding entrance test for current academic session allegedly to skirt an apex court order, the Delhi High Court has asked the Guru Govind Singh Indraprashtha University (GGSIPU) to explore the feasibility of taking over the college.

"The conduct of the college is not only violative of university regulations but also clearly against the Supreme Court order," said a division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv, asking the University to explore if the college could be taken over by it.

The bench also summoned the University Registrar to personally appear before it on June 1 and apprise it of the feasibility of taking over the college.

The court also impleaded the Medical Council of India (MCI) seeking details of procedure for affiliation of the college to it.

The order came on a plea by a student alleging that in a recent order the Supreme Court has directed the college not to reserve 100% for the wards of the Army personnel but to reserve only 5% of the total number of seats for them while keeping open the rest 95 percent for civilians.

Appearing for the student, counsel Aman Hingorani told the court that despite the apex court's order, the college has issued an advertisement saying the management has decided not to take any admission in the MBBS class for the current year on the ground of financial difficulty. The university counsel, however, submitted the University has issued a notification to the college for withdrawal of its advertisement as it supersedes the apex court order.