Taking note of a news item in Hindustan Times, the Delhi High Court on Wednesday ordered an interim compensation of Rs 3 lakh to the kin of an accident victim who died in November last year after three hospitals denied him treatment.
Chief justice Dipak Misra and justice Sanjiv Khanna asked the Delhi government and Centre to come up with comprehensive suggestions within March 23 so that such "man made tragedies" did not recur.
"The present Public Interest Litigation was suo motu initiated by this court on the basis of a report published in Hindustan Times captioned 'Man dies as 3 hospitals refuse him treatment'….” said the court.
“We are inclined to direct the state government to pay a sum of R3,00,000 as an interim
compensation to the legal representatives of the deceased within four weeks," the court added.
Vegetable vendor Rambhor (50) had died after hit by a speeding vehicle at Azadpur Mandi. He was first rushed to Babu Jagjiwan Ram Hospital in Jahangirpuri.
But the hospital refused treatment saying there was no ICU. From there, he was moved to Sushruta Trauma Centre (STC) near Kashmere Gate where he was again refused admission, as they did not have an ultrasound facility.
The Janakpuri resident was finally taken to Lok Nayak Hospital (LNH) near India
Gate, which also refused him admission, saying his medico-legal documents were not in place.
Finally, the patient breathed his last in the ambulance parked in the premises of LNH without any medical attention.
State counsel Najmi Waziri told the court: "Delhi government has accepted the mistake after finding prima-facie evidence of dereliction of duty by certain doctors and the minister had ordered their suspension. Steps will be taken to ensure such incidents do not happen again and the entire system will be streamlined at the earliest."