He died waiting for treatment | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 29, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

He died waiting for treatment

delhi Updated: Jun 15, 2009 03:12 IST
Jaya Shroff Bhalla

Kailash Chand (28), a daily wage labourer from Bhagalpur in Bihar, would have lived if he were administered treatment on time.

But, the crumbling facilities at government hospitals had ensured a different fate for him.

After shuttling between hospitals for over six hours, Chand succumbed to injuries on Saturday. He had fallen from the under-construction building where he was working.

Chand was rushed to the Delhi government-run Dr Baba Saheb Ambedkar Hospital in Rohini in northwest Delhi.

The accident occurred at 2.30 pm on Saturday.

Failing to treat him for lack of CT Scan facilities among other emergency facilities, the hospital referred him to the Central Government-run Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital (RML).

Ambedkar hospital sent him to RML hospital in a CATS van with a resident doctor at about 3.15 pm after providing him the basic treatment.

Call it Chand's bad luck or the dismal failure of the state's health system, the RML hospital refused to admit him, saying their CT Scan facilities were not functional.

When HT contacted Medical Superintendent Dr NK Chaturvedi, he refused to comment on the matter denying knowledge of the incident.

“There are hundreds of patients who come to the emergency everyday,” he said. “It is certainly not possible for us to keep track of all cases.”

The patient was referred to Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Hospital near India Gate at 6.30 pm.

Chand was made to wait in the van for more than two hours before any doctor attended to him.

“Finally after a lot of pleading and persuading, a doctor attended to my brother but they said it was too late to admit him. They said he could not be revived,” said Chand's younger brother Jawahar Mandal (20), who came to the city for work when his brother insisted.

“The hospital killed my brother. They did not treat him,” he said. “Only a heart function test was conducted before the doctors declared him dead.”

Chand breathed his last at 9:30 pm at LNJP Hospital.

The hospital authorities said he died on the way. “He was brought to us dead. However, we have instituted an enquiry committee and they should be submitting a report in a week’s time,” said a senior official from LNJP, unwilling to be named.

A medico-legal case was registered at RML Hospital.