He went to seek help but police locked him up | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

He went to seek help but police locked him up

delhi Updated: Jun 04, 2010 23:26 IST
Sumit Saxena

They removed one of his kidneys on the pretext of getting him a job. Vikram (only single name available) approached the police when he realised he had been duped.

But instead of taking his complaint and investigating it, the Parliament Street Police booked the 25-year-old man for allegedly possessing a knife.

On Thursday, the police produced him in the court of Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Ajay Pandey. In tears, Vikram narrated his story and stripped inside the courtroom to show the 8-inch long cut mark below his ribs.

The judge said, “This is a glaring example of police atrocities on the poor. You (police officials) brought him to me as an accused and wanted his prosecution.”

The court sent Vikram to judicial custody till June 10 and directed the Tihar Jail superintendent to ensure his complete medical examination.

The court then directed the Delhi police commissioner to supervise the registration of an FIR in the kidney ‘racket’.

The court also directed the commissioner for an independent agency other than the local police to probe the matter.

Sakshi Popli, an advocate with Delhi Legal Services Authority (DLSA), volunteered to represent Vikram after hearing about his case in the court.

Popli later told the court that in March this year Vikram met one Sunil Anand, who claimed to be a resident of Civil Lines, and two other people.

Anand offered Vikram with a lucrative job but asked him to donate his kidney in lieu of the job.

The counsel said Anand then took Vikram to a hospital in Nagpur and, on the basis of forged documents stating Vikram is Anand’s younger brother and is willingly donating his kidney, got Vikram's kidney removed on April 27 this year.

In May, Vikram contacted Anand for the promised job but the latter’s number wasn't working. He also found out that the Civil Lines house was sold two years ago and that Anand didn't live there anymore.

“He went to the police to register a complaint when he realised he had been duped. But the police slapped a false case on him instead,” Popli told the court.