High Court blast: One detained from Pilkhuwa | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 18, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

High Court blast: One detained from Pilkhuwa

delhi Updated: May 27, 2011 23:53 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Two days after a low-intensity blast outside the Delhi High Court, the Delhi police's special cell detained one person from Pilkhuwa near Ghaziabad. According to sources, the special cell team has questioned over half a dozen people from Pilkhuwa - a textile industry hub. Police said the powder recovered from the blast site could be one used by textile workers for dyeing fabrics.

"In 2005, when Mohammad Abdul Razzak was arrested in connection with a blast case, the role of a Pilkhuwa-based group had come to light. We raided the area on Thursday night and have detained a few men on suspicion," said a senior Delhi Police officer requesting anonymity. Sources said that the special cell was looking for two brothers - Nafees and Gulfam. During the raid Nafees managed to flee but Gulfam was apprehended.

"In Pulkhuwa, industrialists also use Ammonium Nitrate for dyeing and the same chemical was used in the blast outside the court," he added.

Special Director General of Police, UP, said "One Gulfam was picked up from Pilkhuwa but we don't know whether it was the Delhi Police or not. Our team didn't conduct any raid".

Delhi Police in its report submitted to the Ministry of Home Affairs had confirmed the use of Ammonium Nitrate in the blast.

According to sources, Delhi police have claimed in the report that the role of any known terrorist outfit is unlikely and that two batteries were recovered from the bag apart from shrapnel and powder. A team of special cell has also approached shop owners who sell batteries and chemical powder to know the details of recent sale. "We are waiting for the reports from the forensic team that has collected the evidence from the spot," said a senior police officer requesting anonymity.

"Although the exact contents of the bomb will be determined after the forensic report is obtained, the iron nails, which were fitted into the loosely assembled bomb, were rusted, indicating that the bomb was prepared weeks before being planted," the officer added. Sources also said that a timer device was used to trigger the blast. The device was destroyed in the blaze. A low intensity blast was reported from outside Delhi High Court gate number 7 at 1:15 pm on Wednesday.