High court blast: Police locates RML's three 'missing' patients | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 08, 2016-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

High court blast: Police locates RML's three 'missing' patients

delhi Updated: Sep 12, 2011 00:09 IST
Jatin Anand Jatin Anand
Jatin Anand Jatin Anand
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

An 'inadvertent clerical error' on the part of the authorities at the RML Hospital kept the Delhi Police on their toes well into the night a day after the blast outside the Delhi High Court on Wednesday.

The police were already at their wits' end after the previous day's developments when a team was in hot pursuit of a silver Santro vehicle and quite confident that it was somehow connected to the blast. The car, however, was involved in nothing but a minor case of cheating.

It was in these circumstances that a team of the Special Cell of the Delhi Police had no option but to run from pillar to post — and especially to neighbouring Faridabad — when a list was handed over to them by hospital authorities on Thursday morning. The list showed three patients as 'absconding'.

"The list contained a break-up of all the patients who had been admitted to the hospital the previous day. Towards the end of the list, two patients were listed as having left against medical advice and three, as per the hospital, were listed under the heading of 'absconding'," said a senior police officer.

On May 8, Hindustan Times had reported on the matter and also about the special cell's directive of providing CCTV footage to the RML Hospital authorities.

A day later however, police were able to track the 'absconding' trio. They were two brothers residing in east Delhi's Mayur Vihar and the third hailed from Faridabad, and were recuperating at Max and Apollo Hospitals, respectively.

"When we questioned them about leaving the hospital, all three accepted that they had left of their own accord and that they should have acted more responsibly in terms of informing the hospital before leaving," the officer said.

While a senior RML official regretted the incident, Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat maintained that the police were maintaining a hawk's eye on the hospital.