A hoax call about the presence of a bomb at Chawri Bazar Metro station in old Delhi had commuters in panic on Monday evening. Chawri Bazar falls on the underground section of Metro’s line 2.
Around 6pm, Delhi Metro officials received a call about the presence of the bomb. The police were informed and the Metro staffers closed all entries and exits of the Metro station. This led to a huge crowd of commuters both outside and inside the Metro station.
“It was evening peak hour, which is why there was a heavy rush of commuters. The gates of the station remained closed for about half an hour. However, Metro services remained unaffected," said a spokesperson of DMRC.
The required security checks as per set procedures were carried out immediately and bomb squads were rushed to the station.
After carrying out the mandatory checks, the station was declared safe and the entry gates were reopened at 6.38 pm, the spokesperson said.
This is not the first time that a hoax call has affected Metro commuters at the Chawri Bazar station. DMRC officials said that in 2008, six hoax bomb calls had been made to the station in two months.