The home ministry on Monday put on hold central assistance to states for special police officers (SPOs) in view of the Supreme Court indictment for deploying SPOs in counter-insurgency activities.
The home ministry had authorised naxal-affected state governments to recruit 13,566 SPOs and would reimburse Rs 3,000 per SPO every month on an 80:20 basis. Earlier this year, the centre had sanctioned another 12,000 SPOs for the naxal-affected states.
The Supreme Court, however, had taken a dim view of the government's efforts to ramp up its anti-naxal force by arming the poorly-trained SPOs and deploying them to fight naxals.
A government source said a view on releasing the funds would be taken once the home ministry gets details from all affected states about the deployment of SPOs and the tasks that they can given without violating the SC judgment.
The home ministry sent an advisory to Kolkata recently, cautioning the government about Maoists attempts to re-group after a long gap. Government sources said they had been consistently receiving intelligence inputs about suchefforts, particularly from West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia.
Ulfa alert in assam
The Centre has also sounded a maximum security alert in Assam after reports that a faction of the outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) led by commander-in-chief Paresh Barua had planned a massive strike. "This is a serious threat," said UK Bansal, home ministry secretary (security).