House secured, now MP goes flat out for roof | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 23, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

House secured, now MP goes flat out for roof

delhi Updated: Apr 01, 2009 01:06 IST
Manish Tiwari
Manish Tiwari
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The upper house he’s managed, but getting into the house allotted to him is proving to be quite a task for Independent Rajya Sabha MP from Uttar Pradesh Mohammed Adeeb.

It’s been almost three months since Adeeb has been trying to move in but the present occupant, former MP Bashishta Narain Singh is in no mood to vacate. In February, Adeeb even approached Vice-President and Rajya Sabha Chairman Hameed Ansari for intervention but nothing moved. Finally, he knocked the door of Congress president Sonia Gandhi last week, requesting her to “look into the matter personally” and direct J.P. Agarwal, Rajya Sabha member and Chairman of the House Committee, to give him possession of the house. Adeeb rued that while Singh occupied Flat 191 in South Avenue besides another one (190) allotted to him earlier, he was living in a stopgap one-room apartment in Western Court. He termed Agarwal’s decision to grant Singh repeated extensions “highly unjust and improper”.

Agarwal, on his part, told HT the MP seemed to have “crossed all limits of indecency”. He said: “I can’t throw out a former MP. If this is the way he wants to rake up the issue, I won’t allot him the same house. Adeeb had been allotted a flat of his choice but now I will ensure he doesn’t get it. I will allot him some other flat.”

Citing rules, Agarwal said an outgoing MP could get an extension for over a year. “Adeeb has been provided an alternative arrangement, so what’s the fuss? I got a house after one-and-a-half years.”

As per Rajya Sabha Secretariat orders, Adeeb was allotted the flat on January 28 and Singh was asked to vacate by February 8, which he didn’t. Subsequently, the Secretariat formally requested the initiation of eviction proceedings but on March 13, Agarwal granted Singh a two-month extension.