How Santosh harassed and killed Mattoo? | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 23, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

How Santosh harassed and killed Mattoo?

delhi Updated: Oct 06, 2010 11:17 IST

Santosh had raped 22-year-old Priyadarshini, who was alone at home, after first beating her with his motorcycle helmet. He then strangled her with an electric wire.

Priyadarshini had earlier lodged complaints with police, saying that Santosh Singh had been stalking and harassing her, but had not been provided any protection.

Singh was her senior in college. It was in Delhi during her law course that Santosh Singh became besotted with her, and made indecent proposals. However, at one point he started stalking her, and her family lodged several FIRs with the police. A police escort was provided for some time, but in the end, the stalking continued.

Priyadarshini was in the third-year of her law program, when she was found strangled in her uncle’s Vasant Kunj residence. She had been raped, injured 14 times with a motorcycle helmet, and finally strangled with a wire.

Santosh Kumar Singh, her senior in college, had been stalking and harassing her for several years, and was the immediate suspect.

In 1995, Priyadarshini had complained that Santosh Singh was harassing and stalking her. She had been provided with a personal security officer at the time. In retaliation, Santosh had lodged a complaint with the university alleging that she was pursuing two degrees simultaneously. However, it turned out that Priyadarshini had passed M.Com in 1991 and the complaint was merely malicious.

On the morning of January 23, 1996, Santosh was seen knocking for entrance into Priyadarshini's uncle's house, where she was living, in the Vasant Kunj area of Delhi. A servant saw Santosh entering her house, apparently saying that he wanted a compromise in their legal complaints. Subsequently he raped her, strangled her with an electric wire and then battered her face beyond recognition with a motorcycle helmet. Santosh's presence in the house after the murder was also established by the prosecution.