With increasing resentment among students regarding the new admission format for the Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT), HRD minister MM Pallam Raju has agreed to review the format on Wednesday.
“We will hold a review meeting on Wednesday to find out the shortcomings and streamline them,” he said.
From this year, the student has to be in the top 20 percentile of his board to be eligible for getting admission in any of the IITs. Till last year, anybody scoring 60% in the boards was eligible for admission.
The percentile issue has created a lot of frustration as it is skewed in distribution. Some boards like Andhra Pradesh have a high cut-off percentile while some like Tripura have a very low cut-off.
“We, however, have no problems with the format giving weightage to class 12th boards,” Raju said adding he had received several from concerned parents and students.
Some students from Andhra Pradesh, who were denied admission on the percentile issue, had filed a case in the AP high court.
The court had directed IIT authorities to reserve seats for these students, though later SC issued an interim stay.