Images of her lifeless body still haunt us, say Jigisha’s parents | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 20, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Images of her lifeless body still haunt us, say Jigisha’s parents

delhi Updated: Jul 14, 2016 23:29 IST
Ananya Bhardwaj
Ananya Bhardwaj
Hindustan Times
jigisha ghosh

Savita Ghosh and Jagannath Ghosh, parents of Jigisha Ghosh.

A seven-year-long fight won, a teary-eyed Sabita Ghosh said she on Thursday had found a reason to live — the killers of her only daughter Jigisha Ghosh had been convicted.

A Delhi court found accused Ravi Kapoor, Baljit Malik and Amit Shukla guilty of abducting Jigisha from outside her house in Vasant Vihar, robbing, murdering and abandoning the body in Haryana’s Surajkund.

Their punishment, Sabita said, should not be anything less than a death penalty. The court is yet to pronounce the sentence.

“I have been waiting for this day for seven years. My husband and I have not been living. We are merely breathing. Not a single day has passed when I do not think about Jigisha. The images of her body lying lifeless in the bushes still haunt me,” she said.

Sabita says she still can’t believe Jigisha is no more. “I keep thinking why they had to kill her? She gave them all her money, cards and jewellery,” she said.

Read: Delhi court convicts all three for robbing, murdering Jigisha Ghosh in 2009

The fight for justice hasn’t been easy for her or her husband Jagannath N Ghosh. “These seven years have been a long, hard and a lonely battle for both of us. The verdict will not bring our daughter back, but at least we will be satisfied that the men who killed her in cold blood have been brought to book,” she said.

Sabita recounts how her husband got details from the bank about purchases made using Jigisha’s card. He also identified the shops from where the transactions were done.

“He accompanied the police during their raids to the shops from where the killers had bought a watch, a TV, a cap and glasses using Jigisha’s debit card. The CCTV footage from those shops finally led to their arrest,” she said.

Sabita said she had been receiving threat calls from unknown numbers. “We had nothing to lose. We stood firm. The calls that we had been getting since last year stopped only last week,” she said.