In shock, another rape victim tries to end life | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 21, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

In shock, another rape victim tries to end life

delhi Updated: Apr 21, 2013 12:26 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
rape of minor


As the brutal rape of the five-year-old sparked outrage across the country, in another equally shocking incident, a 13-year-old who underwent a similar trauma a month ago attempted suicide on Saturday morning.

Kavita (name changed), 13, had met with the same fate and the police, allegedly in a similar manner, had tried to hush up the case.

On Friday, Kavita saw the plight of the five-year-old on TV throughout the day and went into depression. Upset with the police’s response in her case, she allegedly consumed an overdose of a medicine kept for her father’s treatment on Saturday morning and is currently admitted at the ICU of east Delhi’s Hedgewar hospital.

In Kavita’s case, it was just another case of a minor going missing for the police. The section of rape was added only after the court intervened.

The incident had taken place on March 15 when Kavita had gone to buy medicines along with her younger brother to a local market in east Delhi’s Farsh Bazar area.

They were allegedly kidnapped in an auto and taken to a house in Loni, Ghaziabad. The girl alleged that eight men took turns to rape her in front of her 10-year-old brother.

Her brother managed to escape the next day and somehow reached his east Delhi’s Farsh Bazar house.

“On March 16, we complained to the police. A case of kidnapping was lodged and a raid was conducted the next day. Police detained a man but failed to rescue my daughter,” victim’s mother said.

“We do not know what happened after that. On March 24, my daughter returned and she recounted her story to the police. The investigating officer told us that it would not be good for the girl’s future if we insisted on adding the section of rape in the FIR.

“The local police were reluctant and so we approached the court after which sections of sexual abuse were added to the existing FIR on April 13,” she said.

Kavita remained confined to her house ever since she returned and continuously watched the news of the five-year-old on television. On Friday evening, she made a PCR call to know the status of her case.

“She was in depression and had tried to kill herself on Friday evening but I stopped her. Next morning, when I was not home, she tried to kill herself again,” victim’s mother added.

“We have already arrested four men in the case and the other four have been identified and would be arrested soon,” a Delhi police spokesperson said.