Indian Mujahideen terrorist sent to police custody | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 22, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Indian Mujahideen terrorist sent to police custody

delhi Updated: Feb 06, 2010 19:04 IST
Shahzad Ahmad

A city court Saturday sent suspected Indian Mujahideen (IM) terrorist Shahzad Ahmad, wanted to stand trial for his role in the September 2008 Delhi serial bombings, to police custody till Feb 12.

The Special Cell of Delhi Police formally arrested Ahmad Saturday for his involvement in the Delhi serial bombings and presented him before Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Kaveri Baweja. The CMM sent Ahmad to police custody till Feb 12.

Earlier, Delhi Police's Crime Branch brought Ahmad before Metropolitan Magistrate Surya Malik Grover.

Ahmad was taken to the court for the murder of Special Cell inspector Mohan Chand Sharma during the Batla House shootout on Sep 19, 2008.

Rajiv Mohan, public prosecutor, informed the court that the investigation in the killing of Sharma was complete and the police did not require Ahmad to be in their custody any more.

Mohan also told the court that since Ahmad is wanted for the Delhi serial blasts, his case should be transferred to the chief metropolitan magistrate's court, where other cases of the Delhi blasts are pending.

The court then transferred all the cases to the CMM, Tis Hazari.

Ahmad was brought to the national capital earlier this week after Uttar Pradesh police's Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) arrested him in Azamgarh.

Delhi Police's Crime Branch took his custody first as they are probing the shootout at Batla House in September 2008. Two suspected Indian Mujahideen militants and Sharma were killed in the shootout in Delhi's Jamia Nagar locality.

Ahmad alias Pappu, who planted a bomb at the Children's Park near India Gate Sep 13, 2008, was present in the Batla House during the shootout. But he managed to escape after firing at the policemen. The bomb he planted in the Children's Park did not explode and was defused.

In the Sep 13, 2008, bombing, five synchronised blasts - two in Connuaght Place, two in Greater Kailash and one in a crowded market in Karol Bagh - occurred within a span of 31 minutes, killing 26 people and injuring over 150.