Injured battle for life as death toll goes up to 13 | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 20, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Injured battle for life as death toll goes up to 13

delhi Updated: Sep 09, 2011 01:45 IST
Jaya Shroff Bhalla
Jaya Shroff Bhalla
Hindustan Times
Jaya Shroff Bhalla

Two victims of the Delhi high court blast succumbed to their injuries at the Ram Manohar Lohia (RML) Hospital on Thursday, taking the death toll to 13.

At least five of the 75 injured persons are battling for their lives at RML.

Fifty-eight-year-old P Patra, who was recuperating in the resuscitation room of the hospital’s trauma block and died of cardiac arrest around 7pm.

Pramod Kumar Chaurasia, 40, also breathed his last on Thursday morning.

He was a resident of Mubarakpur Road in west Delhi’s Nangloi. He is survived by his wife and four children.

Chaurasia was brought to the hospital with multiple fractures and chest perforation.

“He was standing in the queue for the entry pass. I wish he had missed his hearing on Wednesday,” said Shambhu Chaurasia, his brother, who was upset with the hospital authorities for not communicating with the family on his brother’s failing health.

“Till yesterday, we were told that his surgery had gone well and he was stable. His sudden death has come as a rude jolt,” he wept.

According to hospital sources, eight patients are undergoing reconstructive surgery, seven are trauma patients, five are in the intensive care unit, 12 in the surgical ward, 10 in the orthopaedic ward and 13 of the injured— who had come with fractures and minor splinter injuries — have been discharged.

“Most of the victims have injuries on the lower part of their bodies due to the impact of the blast. There were cases of calf and thigh lacerations, amputations, and compound fractures,” said a doctor from department of surgery at RML Hospital on the condition of anonymity.

“My friend Vipin Gautam, 63, and I are petitioners in Public Interest Litigation against the DDA. While he was standing in the queue for a pass, I was filling a form 10 to 12 feet away from him. When the bomb blast happened, I ducked in fear and on gaining consciousness, I saw my friend lying under two dead bodies. On lifting him up, I saw both his legs mangled up,” said Rahul Gupta, 51, an eyewitness to the blast.

Gautam was one of those who underwent reconstructive surgery. Another was Radhey Shyam, 60, who was brought to the hospital with one of his legs in his hands. “When he was brought into the hospital, he was unconscious, but his arms were wrapped around his severed leg,” said a doctor, who was on emergency duty on Wednesday.