Inspector arrested on charges of human trafficking | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 17, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Inspector arrested on charges of human trafficking

delhi Updated: Dec 10, 2009 00:33 IST
Vijaita Singh
Vijaita Singh
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A Delhi Police Inspector posted with the security wing of Rashtrapati Bhavan has been arrested on charges of human trafficking, police said.

The accused, identified as Rahuvir Singh, was arrested on Tuesday. A former Intelligence Bureau (IB) official, P.K. Tuteja, was also arrested in connection with the case sometime back.

Singh, who was then posted at the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGI), had reportedly helped two women migrate to Canada on a forged passport in 2003, the police said.

Both the women were deported to India from Zurich airport in Switzerland after anomalies were found in their passports. Singh allegedly did not register any case against them and instead let them go.

“We arrested Singh after his role was established in the offence,” said Satyendra Garg, joint commissioner of police (operations).

In 2003, security officials at Zurich Airport had detected an anomaly in woman’s passport identified as Manpreet Kaur. “Kaur was deported back to India. Tuteja with the accused Inspector let the woman go and did not take any action against her,” said a senior police officer on condition of anonymity.

The airline staff pointed out the fraud first as the photograph on the passport did not match with the age of the woman concerned.

Though officials at Zurich wrote on her passport that it was a case of substitution of photograph, immigration officials in Delhi allegedly overlooked this fact and let her go, the police said.

Senior Intelligence Bureau officials who later scrutinised the details of the deported persons found that no case was registered against the woman.

The same day, another woman named Jaspreet Kaur Garewal, who was deported, was let off, police said.

The Police said Singh was produced in a city court on Tuesday where he was remanded in one day police custody. The police said they were trying to establish how much money exchanged hands.