The last hurdle in the redevelopment of the historic Jama Masjid was cleared on Wednesday. The Municipal Corporation of Delhi's (MCD) standing committee cleared the redevelopment plan for the 17th century-mosque.
The highlight of the plan - which adopts the 'minimum intervention' idea - is that, once completed, there would be a clear, barrier-free visual field between the Jama Masjid precinct and the Red Fort, a World Heritage Site, across the road.
Architect Pradeep Sachdeva made a presentation during the meeting of the standing committee.
As per the plan, all shops in the Meena Bazar in Red Fort would be re-located to the north, i.e., at the Parade ground side and would be single-level, retaining the same cover area.
On the same lines, shops in front of the Dargah - which actually block the visual field between Red Fort and the Jama Masjid, would be remodeled at the same place to single ground-level shops as against the present two or three storeys.
There would be bus alighting bay for tourists on the Subhash Marg at the southeastern side of the whole complex. The ASI conditions included that the overall re-development should be in sync with the Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan (CCMP) for the Red Fort.
Deputy Commissioner City Zone Vijay Singh said, "The most important is the clearance of visual field between the Jama Masjid and the Red Fort."
The civic body had earlier faced lot of flak for its original plan, which mentioned of underground parking and heritage malls.
All this has now been done away with, only after which the MCD was given a go ahead by the Delhi Urban Arts Commission. Two weeks ago, the plan was submitted the Delhi High Court, which too cleared it.
The only thing that the MCD is not very sure about is parking for the busloads of tourists. Sources said, the civic body will possibly go ahead with an underground multi-level parking for 1,500 vehicles at the Parade ground.